Saturday, May 14, 2011

Great Blue Heron

The Great Blue Heron

The Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias) is one of the largest birds in Colorado. It can be seen flying overhead with its large wings cutting the air. A wading water bird, the beak on the Great Blue is impressive indeed. Pictures abound of this bird with a fish locked in its bill. A solitary feeder, it is rare to see more than one Great Blue at a time unless in their communal rookery.

I know it is anthropomorphic, but the gleam in this birds eyes looks predatory indeed. A small culvert is just out of view. The turbulence of the water flowing into the pond must be attracting fish.

I have seen this specimen hanging out at a small pond near an office building. There was a steep slope down to the water so it was difficult to set up the tripod and inch my way closer so these shots were taken from a greater distance and the zooms are grainy. I was watched continuously as well and the bird took to flight before I could get within 30 yards.

1 comment:

Janice K said...

Beautiful pictures! We see them flying over frequently here.

I just discovered your blog. My husband and I dearly love Colorado and have pretty well traveled through the entire state. We discovered our common interst on our first date and have gone there many times with our family and most recently last fall for our 48th anniversary. I started posting some of my pictures at that time but still have a lot more to post. I guess I came to our favorite place--Maroon Bells--and I had so many pictures to choose from, I sort of gave up for a while. It was so beautiful there that we came through the Aspen area on our way West and decided to come back through on our way home. We have had a lot of fun in the Estes Park area also. We've had some interesting horsebackriding adventures there....Oh, it brings back so many fun memories.

North Rock Creek Snowshoe

Distance: 4 miles round trip Elevation: 9,180 ft to 9,780 ft Elevation Gain: 600 ft Dogs: Off leash until the wilderness boundary North...