Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Black-capped Chickadee


I had a close encounter with a Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus) last weekend. Normally, I only get to hear them in the trees (“chick a dee dee dee”), but this time I followed the sound to a barren shrub near a back yard bird feeder. Ok, I admit it; I was stomping around in the mud near people’s backyards in search of the feathered ones. Boy did I luck out.


Chickadees are small songbirds that eat insects in summer but often rely on seeds and nuts during winter.


1 comment:

Shelley said...

Very nice photos! I think they are such a joy to watch - always cheerful and busy!

North Rock Creek Snowshoe

Distance: 4 miles round trip Elevation: 9,180 ft to 9,780 ft Elevation Gain: 600 ft Dogs: Off leash until the wilderness boundary North...